Despite rumors to the contrary, Rep. Rick Renzi (R-Ariz.) said in a brief statement Friday morning that he intends to serve out the remainder of his current term, his third in the House.
“I am honored to have recently been re-elected, and I’m looking forward to continuing to serve the people of the 1st district for the next two years,” Renzi said.
Telephone calls and e-mails to Renzi’s office seeking a further explanation of the Congressman’s plans were not returned.
Renzi has been the subject of rumors that he is on the verge of resigning his Northeastern Arizona House seat ever since it was reported that an insurance business owned by his wife was raided by the FBI last week. The Phoenix Business Journal reported today that Renzi’s resignation is imminent, and could come as early as today.
Renzi has been the subject of two different investigations, with at least one of them going back to before the Nov. 7 elections, when Renzi won re-election over attorney Ellen Simon (D) with 52 percent of the vote. Federal authorities are investigating Renzi’s role in a land swap deal, and The Wall Street Journal reported earlier this week that a grand jury in Tucson is meeting to consider possible indictments.
— David M. Drucker