The Senate Employee Child Care Center was briefly evacuated after the building experienced an electrical malfunction, according to a spokesman for the District of Columbia Fire Department.
The malfunction “caused a little bit of smoke” in the building, which is located on the 300 block of Massachusetts Avenue Northeast, spokesman Alan Etter said.
“They did evacuate a little bit ago, but they should be going back in soon,” Etter said.
No injuries were reported, Etter said. While child care staff and students were temporarily evacuated to nearby Webster Hall, they were expected to return to the building around 2 p.m.
“It’s not a big deal, really,” Etter said.
About 70 children, from infants to pre-kindergartners, currently are enrolled at the center.
— Elizabeth Brotherton