This 1865 photo shows a very different looking North Capitol Street. At the time, the area around C Street was occupied by the buildings of the Sanitary Commission Home Lodge for Invalid Soldiers (above). The Sanitary Commission, created in 1861 by President Abraham Lincoln, harnessed the volunteer efforts of thousands of women who wanted to help in the war effort. The women helped care for Union soldiers and are credited with cutting the disease rate in half among the Union army. The commission was disbanded following the end of the war.