Skip to content

Billionaire Zuckerman Won’t Seek New York Senate Seat

Billionaire Publisher Mort Zuckerman will not run for New York Senate, the second high-profile figure in recent days to skip the race against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D).

The New York Daily News reported Tuesday evening that Zuckerman, the newspaper’s publisher, decided against a Republican bid because of the time commitment required. “It is very difficult to see how I can devote the necessary time to either a campaign, or to working in Washington, if I were to win,” he said.

Republicans had been wooing Zuckerman, a registered Independent, to challenge Gillibrand, who was appointed to the post just over a year ago. His decision to pass on the race leaves them with several lesser known, and considerably less wealthy, possible challengers.

Former Rep. Harold Ford Jr. (D-Tenn.) announced Monday night that he would not take on Gillibrand in the primary, after spending several months testing the waters.

“In just a short time, Senator Gillibrand has proven herself to be an effective fighter for New York. She’s working hard, getting around the state, building coalitions of support — including some who were initially skeptical upon her appointment,” Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Chairman Bob Menendez (N.J.) said in a statement Tuesday night. “But as we have seen time and time again, she is New York tough and she is impressing New Yorkers every chance she gets.”

Recent Stories

A Massachusetts primary tests Democrats’ appetite to ‘change the culture’

Trump creates beef with ranchers over new import plan

White House ballroom construction can proceed, SCOTUS says

HHS seeks input on kids vaccination changes called for by Trump

Trump tries to shrug off opponents’ rush to define him as lame duck

Progressive Aisha Wahab wins California special election for Swalwell’s seat