Arizona: Ben Quayle, David Schweikert Play Ball in FEC Reports
Welcome to the NFL of politics. Or is the MLB?
One of the most interesting pair of competing Federal Election Commission reports from the second quarter are from Republican Reps. Ben Quayle and David Schweikert, who are battling it out in a Member-vs.-Member primary for Arizona’s 6th district.
Quayle received donations from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and former Dallas Cowboy Roger Staubach, while the Office of the Commissioner of Major League Baseball made a donation to Schweikert.
Quayle won the money race with a $530,000 second quarter haul, finishing the period with $1.1 million in cash on hand. Schweikert rasied $274,000, and closed June with $857,000 in cash on hand. But a source in the Schweikert camp claimed that when factoring only money that can be spent in the primary, Schweikert actually has more available cash.
But beyond those metrics, the names on the reports are fascinating. Most interestingly, current Members have gotten involved in the race.
- Sen. Jon Kyl’s (R-Ariz.) Senate Majority Fund PAC
- Sen. Dan Coats’ (R-Ind.) Conservatives Organized to Advance Tomorrow PAC
- Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas)
- Rep. Martha Roby (R-Ala.)
- Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.)
- Rep. Jeff Denham’s (R-Calif.) JeffPAC
- Rep. Dennis Ross (R-Fla.)
- Rep. Tom Reed (R-N.Y.)
- Sen. Pat Toomey’s (R-Pa.) Citizens for Prosperity in America Today PAC
- President George W. Bush
- First lady Laura Bush
- Josh Bolten, former chief of staff to President George W. Bush
- Rick Santorum-backer Foster Friess
- Former Sen. William Cohen (R-Maine)
- Former California Governor Pete Wilson