Former Rep. Ruben Kihuen gets ratioed after announcing next campaign on Twitter
The House Ethics Committee concluded in November that Kihuen sexually harassed women he worked with
Former Rep. Ruben Kihuen’s brief tenure in Congress was defined largely by a sexual harassment scandal. When the former congressman announced his campaign for Las Vegas City Council on Twitter Tuesday, he received swift and negative blowback.
The Nevada Democrat only served one term, before revelations that he repeatedly sexually harassed women — including a former campaign aide — severely imperiled his chances for re-election.
Kihuen, once a Harry Reid prodigy, will run for retiring Las Vegas City Councilman Bob Coffin’s seat in Ward 3.
“I hope to earn your support,” Kihuen said in his Twitter video while hammering in a campaign sign.
I’m ready to continue serving the people of Nevada. I will work hard to earn your vote on April 2nd for Las Vegas City Council Ward 3. #LVWard3
¡Estoy listo para seguir luchando por nuestra comunidad! Necesito tu voto el 2 de Abril para el Concilio de Las Vegas Distrito 3. pic.twitter.com/Gn4FXFg4Vk
— Ruben J. Kihuen (@RubenKihuen) January 16, 2019
The video drew criticism. By Wednesday afternoon, the tweet had garnered 57 replies largely panning the former congressman’s decision to launch another bid for public office.
The Nevada chapter of Our Revolution, a grassroots organization affiliated with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, replied to the tweet with a link to last year’s House Ethics Committee report. that found Kihuen had violated the House’s official code of conduct.
“Kihuen made persistent and unwanted advances towards women who were required to interact with him as part of their professional responsibilities,” the report said. The advances included kissing, grabbing and comments about underwear.
Kihuen announced he would not seek another term in Dec. 2017, after press reports revealed that he made persistent unwanted sexual advances towards his campaign’s former finance director Samantha Register.
Last week Register faulted the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in a scathing editorial for apparently failing to act on her claims before they came to light in the media.
Griffin Connolly contributed to this report.Watch: Maryland federal worker: ‘We can’t feed our families, we can’t live the American dream’