There has always been a risk to being a public figure, particularly a member of Congress. Beyond the violence of events like the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol, members and their staff face threats all the time.
CQ Roll Call’s Jim Saksa reached out to every member of Congress to ask if they had received a death threat. The results were pretty shocking.
- ‘Angels on campus’: Record number of Capitol staff seek counseling in year after Jan. 6
- ‘Rise in violent rhetoric’: Lawmakers in both parties report spike in death threats
- House chiefs try bipartisan experiment: Talking to each other
- ‘Back of the line’: Trump debuts new material, ramping up race-based claims
- Capitol security officials acutely focused on bolstering protections for members
- Rise of right-wing apps seen worsening midterm disinformation
- Timothy Snyder: Voting rights an ‘existential question’ facing America