Skip to content

Reports of Smoke Lead to Brief Evacuation of Rayburn

The Rayburn House Office Building was briefly evacuated just after 3 p.m. today after smoke was reported in its garage.

The D.C. Fire Department responded to the incident and spokesman Alan Etter said no service was required.

“A wire shorted out which created a little smoke. … It was very minor,” Etter said.

Capitol Police spokesman Michael Lauer said the short circuit that sounded the fire alarm was caused by an “internal electrical system malfunction.”

The building was cleared for re-entry by 3:30 p.m.

— John McArdle

Recent Stories

Trump rushed from stage after gunshots fired at rally

These Democrats have called on Biden to quit the race

Gaffe track — Congressional Hits and Misses

Trump’s presidential office hours were the shortest since FDR, Biden’s not far behind him

Biden admits other Democrats could beat Trump, but sends potential rivals a message

Photos of the week ending July 12, 2024