Coming Soon: Union Station’s Home for Bikes

Posted September 26, 2008 at 3:45pm

D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty broke ground for construction of the new Union Station Bicycle Transit Center on Friday.

The 1,700-square-foot center at the west end of Union Station will be capable of storing more than a hundred bikes. It will also offer a rental service for 20 bikes and a repair shop. The city is paying for 80 percent of the $4 million project, designed by KGP Design Studio. KGP is paying for the other 20 percent.

With an all-glass exterior in a globular pod design, the center will be easy to spot next to the stone-columned Union Station. Fenty said the center is part of a larger project to encourage more bicycle commuting.

“That’s our goal: get more people on bicycles,” he said.

Fenty said there are a number of reasons why the city is making this push now.

“Environmental, transportation focused, really making sure there are a lot of options for people to get around the city,” he said.

The center is set to be finished in the spring. Currently, while construction is underway, there are only a few racks in front of the building offering little more than a place to park a handful of bikes.