Skip to content

Cantor: House May Cancel Recess

Updated 12: 19 p.m. | The recess planned for the last week of September may be canceled to deal with fiscal issues, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., said on the floor Thursday.

The announcement came in his weekly colloquy with Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer, D-Md., and after House leaders had to postpone their plans to pass a stopgap spending bill to avoid a government shutdown this week.

“Members are advised that pending ongoing discussions on the continuing resolution, the House may need to be in session during the week of Sept. 23 and possibly into the weekend,” Cantor said. “Members should expect an announcement next week,” Cantor said.

Hoyer noted that he has been telling his members to keep their schedules in reserve for that week just in case.

“I’m pleased to see the majority leader is putting the House on notice,” he said.

Recent Stories

Ethics Committee announces inquiry into California Rep. Jimmy Gomez

Rating changes: 10 of 11 races shift toward Democrats

Wealthy House candidates eye payoffs in Florida Republican primaries

Alaska Senate candidates attempt to link each other to Epstein

Kennedy looks for new members for revamped vaccine committee 

Trump paints Blakeman as tough on crime with cops as backdrop at New York rally