As Pope Francis makes his way into the House chamber for the joint meeting of Congress Thursday morning, he’ll be escorted by members of House leadership.
According to an aide, the pope will be flanked by seven Republicans and seven Democrats. Those from the GOP escorting the pope are:
- House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.
- House Majority Whip Steve Scalise.
- House Republican Conference Chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers.
- National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Greg Walden.
- Republican Policy Committee Chairman Luke Messer.
- House Republican Conference Vice Chairwoman Lynn Jenkins.
- House Republican Conference Secretary Virginia Foxx.
And on the Democratic side of the aisle, the pope will be joined by:
- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
- House Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer.
- House Assistant Democratic Leader James E. Clyburn.
- House Democratic Caucus Chairman Xavier Becerra.
- House Democratic Caucus Vice Chairman Joseph Crowley.
- Steering and Policy Committee Co-Chairwoman Rosa DeLauro.
- Democratic Congressional Committee Chairman Ben Ray Luján.
See photos, follies, HOH Hits and Misses and more at Roll Call’s new video site.
Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call in your inbox or on your iPhone.