A Donald Trump resort in Florida lost its championship golf tournament when its primary sponsor pulled out and the PGA confirmed that it’s moving the event to … wait for it … Mexico City.
The World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship was forced to move when it could not find a sponsor, outgoing tournament chairman Butch Buchholz confirmed to The Miami Herald Wednesday. Trump first mentioned the PGA’s departure during an appearance on Fox News on Tuesday.
“They’re moving it to Mexico City which, by the way, I hope they have kidnapping insurance,” Trump said during the interview. “And I’m saying, you know, what’s going on here? It is so sad when you look at what’s going on with our country.”
Trump began his campaign decrying illegal immigration and insulting Mexicans. He constantly refers to the “big, beautiful wall” he’ll build between the two countries if elected.
The billionaire mogul took over the resort that hosted the tournament in 2012 and pumped millions of dollars into a refurbishment project, according to ESPN .
In 2013, the PGA Tour announced a 10-year contract extension with the resort, contingent upon title sponsorship.
But the event’s primary sponsor, Cadillac, announced last year that it was changing its marketing strategy and would leave the Tour.
Buchholz said he did not know whether Trump’s comments were the primary reason for the PGA’s ultimate departure, the Miami Herald reported.
“Cadillac was going to leave,” Buchholz told the paper. “It had nothing to do with Trump.”