Skip to content

Liberal group’s poll: Impeachment supporters want multiple articles, within a month

Opponents are concerned Democrats will hurt themselves politically

A coalition of progressive activist groups, including, hold a rally at the Capitol after Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced a formal impeachment inquiry of President Trump. (Caroline Brehman/CQ Roll Call)
A coalition of progressive activist groups, including, hold a rally at the Capitol after Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced a formal impeachment inquiry of President Trump. (Caroline Brehman/CQ Roll Call)

A majority of impeachment supporters want Democrats to vote this month on multiple articles of impeachment, a poll commissioned by the pro-impeachment Progressive Change Institute found.

The national poll, conducted for the institute by YouGov Blue, surveyed 1,009 registered voters from Friday through Sunday. As other recent surveys have found, poll respondents were largely split on impeachment, with 49 percent supporting the House Democrats’ inquiry, 43 percent opposed and 8 percent undecided. 

“Many previous polls show majorities favoring action on impeachment — but our poll reveals that many who supposedly oppose impeachment actually agree with Democrats and are just scared about the politics,” Stephanie Taylor, the institute’s co-founder, said in a statement.

Of the 49 percent who supported the impeachment inquiry, a majority said they want Democrats to move quickly. 

Three-fifths agreed with a statement saying “Democrats should proceed boldly and decisively — with every member of Congress voting on articles of impeachment within the next month.” The rest said “Democrats should proceed with caution” and not rush to a vote. 

Among supporters of the inquiry, 71 percent said articles of impeachment should include all of Trump’s alleged high crimes and misdemeanors, compared to 29 percent who said they should focus solely on the allegation that Trump asked Ukraine to interfere in the 2020 election.

That finding contradicts the strategy Democrats have coalesced around in focusing on the Ukraine matter, although the caucus has not yet decided what would or would not be included in articles of impeachment.

Among those opposed to the impeachment inquiry, 35 percent believe Trump committed high crimes and misdemeanors but think impeachment will hurt Democrats politically, the poll found. The other 65 percent opposed to the inquiry said that Trump did not commit impeachable offenses and that the 2020 election should decide whether he stays in office.

The poll of all respondents had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points. The margin of error for the subgroups of supporters and opponents of impeachment was plus or minus 5 points.

Trump and his supporters say impeachment is an attempt to use baseless allegations to overturn the results of the 2016 election. Republican campaign groups have used impeachment to target Democrats they believe are vulnerable in 2020, especially freshmen in Trump districts whose wins last year helped flip the House from red to blue.

The Progressive Change Institute is a sister organization of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which has endorsed Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren for president and supports primary challengers to Democratic incumbents it considers too conservative.

The institute said it plans to share the poll with Democratic members of Congress and chiefs of staff as they work to build support within the House for impeachment.

Loading the player...

Recent Stories

Piecemeal supplemental spending plan emerges in House

White House issues worker protections for pregnancy termination

Senate leaders seek quick action on key surveillance authority

Officials search for offshore wind radar interference fix

McCarthy gavel investigation ends without a bang

Rep. Tom Cole seeks to limit earmark-driven political headaches