Uncertainty reigns in gubernatorial races where anywhere from one to a dozen incumbent governors could be defeated for re-election.
With just a few days to go, we’re changing our Rothenberg Political Report/Roll Call rating in eight races. Six of the moves are toward Republicans and two significant moves are toward Democrats. Kansas and Alaska move to the pure Tossup category.
- Alaska (Gov. Sean Parnell, Republican): From Tossup/Tilts Republican to pure Tossup
- Iowa (Gov. Terry Branstad, Republican): From Republican Favored to Safe Republican
- Kansas (Gov. Sam Brownback, Republican): From Tossup/Tilts Republican to pure Tossup
- Maine (Gov. Paul LePage, Republican): From Tossup/Tilts Democratic to pure Tossup
- Maryland (Open; Gov. Martin O’Malley, a Democrat, cannot seek another consecutive term): From Democrat Favored to Leans Democratic
- New Hampshire (Gov. Maggie Hassan, Democrat): From Safe Democrat to Democrat Favored
- New Mexico (Gov. Susana Martinez, Republican): From Republican Favored to Safe Republican
- South Carolina (Gov. Nikki Haley, Republican): From Leans Republican to Republican Favored
You can read more detailed analysis of the races in the Oct. 29 issue of the Rothenberg Political Report ($).
Roll Call Election Map: Race Ratings for Every Seat
Get breaking news alerts and more from Roll Call in your inbox or on your iPhone.