Aaron Schock Pleads Not Guilty To Slew of Federal Charges
Former Illinois congressman resigned in 2015
Former Illinois Rep. Aaron Schock pleaded not guilty Monday to a number of federal fraud and theft charges stemming from his tenure in the House of Representatives.
Schock was indicted last month on 24 counts, including charges of wire fraud, mail fraud, theft of government funds, making false statements, filing false reports with federal election officials and filing false tax returns.
The investigation drove the former Republican congressman to resign from his seat representing Illinois’ 18th District in May 2015.
Schock, 35, addressed the media briefly after his plea, but did not take questions.
“I look forward to all of the facts coming out in this case,” he told reporters. “I have full confidence in my legal team, full confidence in the good people of this community and I’m confident that in the end, justice will prevail.”
Schock stands accused of using campaign and government funds for personal expenses including travel and the lavish redecoration of his Capitol Hill office in the style of the popular television show, “Downton Abbey.”
Last month, Schock’s attorney, George Terwilliger, said in a statement to The Associated Press that the indictment “will look bad, but underneath it is just made-up allegations of criminal activity arising from unintentional administrative errors.”
U.S. District Judge Sue E. Myerscough originally set a trial date for February, but has said she is amenable to a delay, according to the Chicago Tribune, due to the large amount of evidence to review.