Skip to content

U.S. Aware of All North Korea Nuclear Work, Trump Says Despite Report

President responds to report about alleged deception by Kim Jong Un

South Koreans watch reporting on President Donald Trump’s meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12. (Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images)
South Koreans watch reporting on President Donald Trump’s meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12. (Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images)

President Donald Trump on Tuesday denied that North Korea is moving ahead with its nuclear weapons program despite a pledge from Kim Jong Un to freeze all such work.

Citing satellite images, the New York Times reported Monday that Kim is continuing work at sites he promised to Trump would cease while the two leaders — and, sometimes, their staffs — try to strike a denuclearization deal.

In a tweet, the commander in chief called the Times report “inaccurate”and “Fake News,” and claimed U.S. officials “fully know about the sites being discussed, nothing new – and nothing happening out of the normal.”

[Trump Predicts ‘Deal-Making,’ Many Fights Ahead With Democrats]

Trump last week said he expects to meet again one-on-one with Kim early next year.

Members of both parties on Capitol Hill have praised his efforts to strike a deal with Kim, though some Democrats worry the North Korean dictator is playing Trump and has no intention of giving up his atomic arms while getting concessions on sanctions and other things from Washington.

Recent Stories

GOP senators push for challenge to House maps in Democratic states

Blanche says he won’t recommend pardoning Maxwell

Funds to combat child exploitation added to reconciliation bill

Another bill upping Capitol Police retirement age passes the House

House NIL bill gets benched

Trump backs Paxton over Cornyn in Texas runoff