OPINION — Well, it’s time for another of my end-of-the-year winners and losers columns. I’ve titled it “Another End-of-the-Year Winners & Losers Column” just so you don’t miss the point.
As I have often done in the past, I’ll offer up a category with some nominees. Then I’ll give you my winner. If you disagree, please send your complaints to Nathan Gonzales of Inside Elections or Charlie Cook of the Cook Political Report. Just don’t send them to me.
Most embarrassing electoral win by an accused member of Congress
- Chris Collins, R-N.Y., indicted/re-elected to Congress
- Keith Ellison, D-Minn., allegations of abuse/elected attorney general of Minnesota
- Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., indicted/re-elected to Congress
- Steve King, R-Iowa, alleged racist remarks/re-elected to Congress
My winner: Duncan Hunter. Come on, the guy threw his wife under the bus.
Biggest House upset winner
My winner: All noteworthy, but I’m going with a tie — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, because of her stunning primary win, and Kendra Horn, because I never gave a moment’s thought to a Democratic pickup in Oklahoma.
Best (worst) Trump comment or tweet around the election
- The one about how Barbara Comstock would have won if she had embraced Trump (Post-election press conference)
- “The White House is running very smoothly…” (Tweet of Nov. 15, in the middle of White House chaos)
- “Tremendous success tonight!” (Tweet of Nov. 6, as Republicans were losing the House)
- “Congressman Randy Hultgren (R) of Illinois is doing a great job. Get out and vote for Randy – Total Endorsement!” (Tweet of Nov. 6, as Hultgren was losing his bid for re-election)
- “Something’s happening America!” (Tweet of Nov. 5, the night before Republicans lost the House)
My winner: All of the above.
Worst hair in politics/political journalism
- Donald Trump
- Stuart Rothenberg
- Matthew Whitaker
- Michael Smerconish
My winner: Seriously? You need me to pick the winner?
Biggest winner of 2018
- The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
- Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., next speaker
- Beto O’Rourke,D-Texas, lost Senate race
- Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., still Senate majority leader
- Boston Red Sox, World Series champs
My winner: It’s Beto, of course, with a tip of the cap to the DCCC and its independent expenditures arm. You knew I’d never pick the Red Sox, didn’t you?
Biggest loser of 2018 (nothing to do with weight)
- Joseph Crowley, D-N.Y., upset in his primary
- Jeff Sessions, attorney general, fired
- Kris Kobach, R-Kan., lost bid for governor
- Donald Trump, radioactive in the suburbs; cost his party the House
- Bill Cosby, you know why
My winner (i.e., biggest loser): President Donald Trump, who single-handedly mobilized Democrats and produced a Democratic wave in the House. What a total loser. And weak. The man has the backbone of a jellyfish.
New award, somewhat dubious
Finally, I am pleased to announce the winners of the inaugural Louis Gohmert Award, which goes to the members of Congress who have repeatedly embarrassed themselves and the institution of Congress: Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, and Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Miss.
Congratulations on winning this award. You both have set a new standard for behavior in Congress and campaigns.
Also Watch: Oregon Christmas Trees, Hatch’s Bacon and Tributes to Bush That Made Us Smile — Congressional Hits and Misses