Skip to content

Minnesota: Poll Shows Voters Want Coleman to Concede

The majority of Minnesota residents believe Republican Norm Coleman should concede his recount case, according to recent poll results from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The survey showed that 64 percent of respondents believe Coleman should end his case and not appeal to the state Supreme Court. An even larger group, 73 percent, said they did not think Coleman should appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if he loses his appeal to the state court.

A recount court ruled earlier this month that Democrat Al Franken had won the 2008 Senate race by 312 votes. Lawyers for Coleman appealed the ruling last week and have not ruled out taking the case to the federal courts.

The state Supreme Court trial will begin on June 1, pushing a decision well into the summer. Although Senate Democrats could push to seat Franken earlier than that, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has indicated that he will wait for Coleman’s appeal to the state court to conclude.

The Star-Tribune’s survey interviewed 1,042 Minnesota adults and had a margin of error of 4 points.

Recent Stories

Massie ousted in Kentucky primary by Trump-backed challenger

GOP senators push for challenge to House maps in Democratic states

Blanche says he won’t recommend pardoning Maxwell

Funds to combat child exploitation added to reconciliation bill

Another bill upping Capitol Police retirement age passes the House

House NIL bill gets benched