If you know anyone who clings to antiquated notions that documentary films are dry affairs, kindly refer them to “Beyond Utopia,” Madeleine Gavin’s movie about the perilous paths North Korean defectors and their allies take to get them safely out of one of the world’s most repressive and cloistered countries. In addition to addressing the important issues about a geopolitical hot spot, the filmmaking here makes for a compelling adventure. Director Madeleine Gavin and producer Sue Mi Terry join the Political Theater podcast to discuss their project.
- Biden, Asian leaders pledge deeper ties amid tensions with China, North Korea
- ‘End of whatever regime’: A nuclear-armed presidential threat isn’t what it used to be
- The Other North Korean Threat: Chemical and Biological Weapons
- The Political Theater archives
- Watch Political Theater on YouTube